Search This Blog

Friday, June 5, 2009

A trio of apples


Another painting I took in for critique was a still life. I did this painting on Memorial Day; sometimes knowing the next day I must go back to work motivates me to paint like nothing else does. I had not felt like painting for two days; I had set up the apples the prior week and they were still sitting there. I thought them too monochromatic with the oak table. The violets seemed the perfect foil to all the light. I simplified the desk and teak stereo cabinet across the room to break up the space behind; Kevin said this was the best and strongest of the four flower paintings I brought in. Everyone who has seen it comments on the leaves being so true to “violets.” I was not able to get away from the glare even though the painting was dry to the touch when I shot the photos.

No comments: