Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Cherry Creek Resevoir revisited

Docked, 12x9. oil on canvas board

Docked, Original. Creek Reservoir, 2010
The painting above was hanging about in my studio and my husband asked me why I didn't rework it as he thought I could "make it so much better." So last weekend I put it back on the easel. The first thing I did was to redo the sky color. That made a huge difference. Just with that adjustment the other colors became brighter. I then set about to correct some of the drawing and the values. I brightened the whites because when I paint plein air the colors can tend to get muddy. I then worked on my main focal point, the yellow boat and its reflection. I did lose some of the freshness of brushstrokes reworking it, but overall, I think it is an improvement.

2 comments:

Aloha Sistah said...

The colors seem to pop more after your most recent work on this painting. Made me realize that the Makani Kai Marina where Evader, the boat I crew on during race season in Kaneohe Bay is awash in white boats. There is one dark green/beige boat but it's not exactly brightly painted. Things that make you go hmmmm.

victoriasart said...

Its nice to have some color in the boats. I am surprised most boats are white at the marina where you sail from.