Search This Blog

Monday, June 4, 2012

VW Bug

Orange Bug Blues, 30x30, oil on canvas
I totally reworked this painting recently. It has been "bugging" me since the last time I posted it. I am much happier with it now. It has much better flow. I am including the "original" photo below so I can explain the changes I made and what I was thinking. First I darkened all the trees in the background. That helped ground everything else. To create more contrast, I then lightened the sky just a tad. Next, I darkened the roof of the garage and created more movement in the cast shadows on the roof. Then the wall needed to come down in value as well, and I elaborated on the lighter layer of cast shadows that come from further away which creates more variety and interest. Keeping on the theme of bringing down the value, I went to the poles and the wooden fences. In the fence on the left, I went for less contrast and on the fence on the right, more contrast. I did not do too much to the bug itself except to soften some of the edges and to soften the cast shadow on the roof. The snow came last; People really liked the snow in the foreground so I hesitated to touch it but I did redo it all in the end. I kept some of the purple showing through but went more towards the blue. Blue and Orange being complimentary colors, that was my original attraction to this scene. Your Opinion?

No comments: