Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

We Three Geese

We Three Geese, 2012, oil on linen
Lately, I have heard many artists in my circle say they have so many paintings stacking up, that I decided to redo a few more "Oldies but Goodies" instead of starting a fresh piece. It does me good to see how far I have come and to try and salvage what I have. All about recycling!

I actually started the redo of this painting months ago when I needed to warm up before tackling a new project and there it sat until last Saturday. Where I left it was the water and the ground had been blocked in as big shapes. I had also redrawn the necks and blocked in the big shapes in the light and dark on the geese removing all details. So yesterday I just corrected more drawing and values and then started Sunday morning on details.

It was hard to tell in the original painting below, what was in the shadow on the birds. The value shift was not strong enough. The middle bird's head had been a conundrum for me at the time I painted this in 2005 so I was never happy with the head and beak on that bird in particular. This was a "good" painting for me at the time. Again, this was painted from a 6x4" photo, not a digital image.What a difference a few years make! Both in technology and in personal growth. I like the new name better, too!
Wash Park Sentinels. 2005, 18x14 oil on linen

1 comment:

Travelingrant said...

I still remember taking that picture! Christmas morning, trying out my brand new zoom lens. The painting is looking quite nice!