Search This Blog

Monday, November 23, 2015

Wishing you all a Happy Thanksgiving

Green and Orange Pumpkins, 14x18, oil on canvas
My neighbor is married to a minister. Her mission is to provide food baskets to a number of families each week during the growing season. To that end she has gardens all over this neighborhood as well as many other neighborhoods throughout the metroplex. However, she does not grow raspberries and I do! She and her daughters pick my raspberries and in return I get a pumpkin pie pumpkin when she harvests them. This year she had this one greenish blue pumpkin and wasn't quite sure what to do with just one and then she thought of me...I had to paint this portrait in short order as I had little time between when I received the pumpkins until now. The orange pumpkin is now ready for pie but I am not sure what to do with the green pumpkin except to use it as a decoration for Thanksgiving. If anyone knows different, please let me know. My intention is to give this painting to her in thanksgiving for all she does for others. I know that they struggle themselves.

I painted this over an old varnished painting. I did remove the varnish but it leaves the old paint tacky unless you let it dry again. I did not have time to wait for it to dry so what that means is that the new paint melds into the old and light colors become darker and dark colors get lighter. In other words a lot of mediums show up. I put many layers on this to get it this "light." I do like painting on the tacky surface as the paint drags across it and lets the old painting show through.

No comments: