Search This Blog

Thursday, September 14, 2017

The Cutaway - Quilted landscape

The Cutaway, 12x24, oil on linen panel Original as painted plein air
I knew when I painted this that it was not done. I was wanting to play around with exaggerating the lines and colors of the landscape with the intention to add subtlety and cohesion later.  I have been working on it in bits and pieces the past few weeks adding texture and unifying big shapes. Leaving some of the underlying colors to come through. Let's see how I did on that. Below is the 'finished' painting.
The Cutaway, 12x24, oil on linen panel

I realized this is not a normal thing to paint. For some reason I am drawn to cutaways and how roads intersect the flow of the landscape. I love the underlying rhythms of the earth and the flora that grows with it. I also prefer to include how man puts his mark on the land. The parking lot where I stood to paint this was very busy with bikers. This road seems to be a destination to go riding along for the locals and visitors alike. It had the added benefit of a port-a-potty which is a must have for artists and bikers alike!

No comments: