Search This Blog

Thursday, January 18, 2018

Women in Paris Exhibit at The Denver Art Museum

I have been remiss in not writing this amazing show up before it closed on Monday. Everyone I know who went has only good things to say about it. Denver Art Museum has done itself proud with this exhibit. It seems we have one good show after another so I want to extend kudos to the curators of this world class exhibition. One of the reasons I really liked about Women In Paris is that there were enough well known artists and their works to feel worth it yet there were lots of new artists to most of us, that were so worth discovering!

I went twice. Both times it was well attended.  As you entered, you were met with self-portraits or portraits of many of the artists in the exhibit. One large painting that took center stage in this area was of an all woman's art class at the Atelier. The male model was discreetly covered.

Cecilia Beaux, one of my favorites; the black kitten is a stroke of genius.
a lovely detail

I loved this little scene with the warm light leaking out under the door; the archway to the right aids and abets

Sometimes a good scream is just what is called for!

A German artist whose graphic style really caught my eye
Mary Cassatt did this lovely jewel of her sister, Lydia
It wasn't all sweetness and light.

And last but not least, I loved this painting because it is so real.

No comments: