Search This Blog

Thursday, March 29, 2018

Friends - a journey back in time

Friends - A Journey Back in Time, 20x30, oil on canvas
Friends, here is a painting I did just for me. Another one from my slides I went through that were my mothers from the 1960's when we lived in Europe. I had a bunch of them turned into digital images. This is the second one in the series I have done from her collection. My mom is on the left and her French friend, Beatrice is on the right. This old farmhouse had been in Beatrice's family for generations. I am not sure who took the image, possibly the caretaker or family member who lived there. Since I was a snot nosed brat, I never took my mother up on the invitation to go with them. We lived in Orleans, France at the time, and my mother had met Beatrice at the Franco American Women's Club. They remained friends even after we moved to Germany, up until the time Beatrice died. I visited her when in my 20's and home to visit my parents who still lived in Germany. My mom and I took a road trip to visit Orleans, her friends still there and then on to Paris!

I really picked this image not so much for my mom and her friend, as I had actually thought to leave them out. I thought the composition was well suited for a painting. I liked that it was basically local tone but with a bit of light and shadow. A very diffused light source. I kept the background diffused; I know it is 'not done' to pick out bricks and stones, but that is what I liked about this image. I wanted to highlight how it was built and survived for centuries.

Here is the link to the previous post on the progress of this painting.

1 comment:

April Obersteiner said...

Hi,
I'm Megan's friend April. Megan and I met I Japan, and subsequently I met you many moons ago in Denver while I was visiting her. When I first saw this painting I thought that it was of you and Megan. However, I enjoyed reading the real history behind your excellent art work. And I wanted to say, "Hello", and that, "I'm thinking of your mum with the anniversary of "Mama Peg's" birthday coming up. I always remember it because my mum's birthday is on the same day ! Happy painting Victoria !"