Search This Blog

Thursday, June 28, 2018

Feral Cats of Milos

Milos Resident, oil, 20x20 Available

It was a new experience for me to be around so many feral cats while on the island of Milos. They were everywhere. Literally and figuratively. You heard the random cat fight but overall they seemed to mind their own business and leave you alone. Unless you were eating. Then they would sit ever so quietly and watch you. They rarely fought at the table, believe it or not. They seemed to know that there would be enough for all or nothing for any of them. The couple sitting at this table did not feed the ever hopeful cats. Here is but one example:



Here is another typical scene and yes this cat is On the table; her mother would not allow her near "her table." :
So, to honor all the beautiful wild cats of Milos, I painted this portrait. It may not be the last but I started with this one because the cat on the white wall reminded me of John Singer Sargent's paintings from Capri. He had dancers among the white walls but I had cats.

If anyone has an idea for a title for this painting, I would love to hear from you.

No comments: