Search This Blog

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Ernest L Blumenschein Exhibit


Last Friday I met four artist friends at the Denver Art Museum to view the Blumenschein exhibit currently on display. I had heard mixed reviews from those friends who had already seen the exhibit. And I could see their point. The comment I heard more than once was that they liked the early paintings and the later paintings but that the middle of his career were so-so. I totally liked his early paintings; there were two he painted in Paris and one in NYC that were wonderful little paintings. I had no idea he had lived and painted in Paris since he is so well known as being one of the Taos 6 painters. There were some stunning pieces throughout the show, and right now, being a week later, I cannot remember the names of the pieces I particularly enjoyed. His use of color was what impressed me the most. Blumenschein was not the artist I most liked of the Taos 6 but after seeing this exhibit, my view has changed. Amazing how more knowledge and information will do that! If you have not seen the exhibit, it is up through February 8th.

No comments: