Search This Blog

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Museum Musings

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."  Albert Einstein


We went to the Denver Art Museum last week. It has been awhile since I have been, and though I saw many paintings I have seen before many times, I was still able to see many of them with new eyes. I am still amazed at how a little bit of knowledge can send you off with a shift in your perceptions. One example is the room of British portraits. I have always enjoyed it for the historical aspect, but this time I looked at it as if I were the painter. I decided it would have been more laborious than fun and I did come away grateful that we don't wear such clothes with all the beading, embroidery and lace! But then on the other hand, it could be a joy-filled challenge to get into the patterns of it all.



The Western Art collection had a few gems in it, but overall, I think the Anschutz collection was far more worthy. And then there is the collection at the Denver Public Library, which also has a stunning western art collection.


Just a reminder - Vincent Van Gogh coming to Denver Art Museum this fall! Don't miss it!

No comments: