Search This Blog

Monday, May 13, 2013

Brooklyn Museum Exhibit - John Singer Sargent


I was recently in the NYC area to visit relatives and to see ART. The Brooklyn Museum of Art had 4 memorable exhibits going on. Normally, one exhibit is more than enough for me, but knowing it was a one shot deal, we did almost 4. Today we will cover just one.

John Singer Sargent was the raison d'etre for going. It was well worth it.  The exhibit was the combination of the collection from the Brooklyn Museum and the Boston Museum; both venues had the foresight to purchase every painting Sargent exhibited at two different times, in NYC. This exhibit is the first time the two collections have been shown together, so there were around 100 paintings, mostly watercolor but about 6 or so oil paintings. The paintings were done in groupings by subject and place. The warm burnt orange of the walls was the perfect color to show off these amazing watercolors. The show was very well curated. We were allowed to take photos, too!
As some of you know, I started a laundry series after spending a few days in Venice, so of course I was drawn to this gem. It is called La Biancheria. The thing that I like about this painting, besides the subject, is how many colors he uses to illustrate WHITE laundry. there is very little pure white since most of the laundry is in the shade or silhouetted.
Above: This portrait is of Alice Runnells James; one of many stunning figurative pieces. It was not the top favorite of his portraits, but there was something about it that I did relate to. I think I was ready to lounge myself! And "The Lesson," below. (Please excuse the little bit of reflected light on the back of her easel and one right behind her hat. I did try to avoid those little bits, but sometimes it could not be helped.) Aside for the proverbial brush in her mouth, just how well he can give you a feel for the figures and what they are doing with very little detail. That little triangle of blue at the base of her orangish easel centers your attention yet also deflects to the observers.
 I do not want to overwhelm you with all the photos I took, and I hardly got them all; I haven't even touched on all the different subjects or places illustrated by this extensive show. I had so many favorites, it is hard to chose what to show you. But here is a fine example of a garden. I think it is called Terra Cotta Pots. The colors that man uses in the old balustrade. You get a feel for the solid nature of it.
Pun intended, we will end with another favorite. Who would have thought the rear end of horses could be so beautiful? But they are. A fine piece called "Arab Stable."
Hope you enjoyed this little teaser. The show is up through the end of July if any of you will happen to be in NYC. Well worth it.

No comments: