Search This Blog

Sunday, March 6, 2016

The Anshutz Collection at the Broadmoor

Two weeks ago I was in Colorado Springs to judge high school students in DECA, a marketing education student organization for Career and Technical Education. It was two day commitment plus reading the proposals ahead of time. I was given Sports and Entertainment Promotion Plan. I am not a sports fan so this was not the best pick for me, but 4 women and 1 man were the judges for this event on Sunday afternoon. We judged the presentations of the 11 or so teams whose written plan we had already reviewed. Fine. The next day, all the events were moved to the WEST building on the Broadmoor campus. Now this is when my eyes were filled with delight. The West building houses some amazing pieces from the Anschutz collection. The paintings are spread around the hallways and in sitting areas. I have picked two Fechins and two Blumenscheins here. But also represented were Birger Sandzen, Maynard Dixon, Remington, Victor Higgins and many more. There were a couple of Maxfield Parishe's and  Bierstadt's in the main building as well. Worth a side trip if you are in the Springs.
detail from Fechin still life. Have you ever seen such onions? Masterful.

another detail from Blumenschein if my memory serves.

another Fechin detail

Blumenschein

No comments: