Search This Blog

Thursday, March 28, 2019

Laundry Day, Florence Italy

24x24, oil on linen, available
Looking for assistance for a title for this painting. I am thinking a play on "Zest" but not necessarily. Any help would be much appreciated!

Walking around Florence on my own I spent a lot of time just taking photos. I particularly like how the Italians still hang their clothes out to dry and I keep thinking I will make a series out of these images. This is number 2 I believe. I did a larger painting a few years back of laundry hanging over a Venetian canal. I am sure hanging their washing out is of necessity, unlike myself, who still dries laundry outside year round because I prefer it to using a dryer.

The planes of these joined buildings was a challenge. I knew how to do it intellectually, but it took a few tries to get it to 'read' correctly on canvas. I think this is why I enjoy painting Europe so much. The jingle jangle of the architecture makes it so much more interesting to me. And the colors, too. I think, but cannot remember for sure, that 'Zest' was a grocery store. Interestingly enough, across the street from here was a wonderful farmers market.

3 comments:

dogma said...

This wouldn't help you with a title (I like "Laundry Day," though), but the word "Zest" in the painting looks very similar to the name on the label of Zest soap. Here's why I Googled "Zest soap" after looking at the painting: The yellow walls made me think of lemons. When Jim and I were in Pakistan (1988-1990), my mother asked me if there was anything she could mail to me. I asked for lemon zest, meaning the outermost layer of peel, which is used in baking. McCormick sells a dried version in jars in the spice section of grocery stores. Time went by and I finally got a letter from my mother, most apologetic because she had looked everywhere for "Lemon Zest" soap and couldn't find it. I had forgotten how limited my mother's kitchen skills were!

victoriasart said...

I love your story about Lemon zest! Too funny. Of course Jim has named this painting...Irrepressible Zest.

dogma said...

He's such a clever man!