Search This Blog

Friday, September 20, 2019

Anticipation

Anticipation, 16x12, oil on linen
In the heat of the summer we have been experiencing here, it seemed apropos to dive into something to cool me off! I saw this young boy while walking the beach in western Italy. We were on a tour, and the first day of the tour was a 'free' day or you could add on a day trip to St. Lucia with the guide. We opted to go to the beach by train instead. I had hoped we could go to Cinque Terra, but that was going to make for too long a day, so this was next best. There were not many people in the water as the orange flags were out. I watched his intensity of finding "the" wave to catch. Someone recently made the comment that of course this is not a beach in the USA because he is wearing a speedo! For some reason that never crossed my mind that boys here don't wear speedo type swim suits.

Below is the block in for this painting. As is my want, I picked an unfinished start of a portrait to paint over. I thought you might like to see the big shapes and patterns I use to build upon.

Block in over unfinished painting

No comments: