Search This Blog

Saturday, March 20, 2010

An addedum to What Makes a Painting Good? Lecture

I thought of something else that resonated with me that was not in my notes but rose to the surface this morning. What Scott said about saturating the market with our art; I had come to the same conclusion a few months back. We are in such a hurry to be "out there" and we rush around slapping together paintings instead of taking time and really formulating what it is we want to say. I personally was caught up in trying to have enough to post in my blog so that my viewers would not get bored and forget about me between posts. It is hard to compete with the Daily Painting blogs where artists post a painting a day. Small paintings, to be sure, but still. I then came to the conclusion that I had to follow my heart and hope the rest would follow. I have slowed down considerably and painting larger forces you to do that anyway. But it was good to hear him say that. When you think about, Vermeer only had about 35 or so paintings that are attributed to him, but what paintings they are. We humans always feel better when our conclusions are validated.

No comments: