Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Easter Sunday on Half Moon Bay

Easter Sunday Beach Walk, 6x6
I took this photo while we were in Half Moon Bay, CA visiting our niece this past Easter. It was a cool and breezy day, but there was still plenty of activity on the beach. I have switched to this smaller format for the time being as I felt I was getting bogged down in my larger paintings lately. I needed to have some sense of accomplishment and the smaller format, while it has its own challenges, allows more room for that. I got 5 done last weekend, this is one of the better ones. It is simple in its composition and color structure, which is suitable for the smaller format. I do see a few tiny fixes that need to be addressed now that I have looked at it for a week. The footprints in the sand in the middle left hand side distract from the over all viewing experience due to the fact that they are all similar in size and shape. They need some variety and to recede. ie they are too static.

I have discovered an auction site online for artists; similar to eBay but strictly art. I would like to give it a try but want to start with small paintings. With that in mind I had my husband cut a stack of 6x6 boards. This is my second attempt to paint in this format, as I started last fall with the intention of submitting to a show in California that is devoted to 6x6 inch format. I did not submit to that show, so I have those paintings ready too. I am using just birch boards as the surface so again, it forces me to lay thick strokes down. Once I get my account set up and running I will post the link here with a view of the corrected painting. See you then!

No comments: