Search This Blog

Sunday, September 30, 2012

After the Rain

After the Rain, 24x36, oil on linen
My latest in the alley series. I like the mood of this one and it is very different from any of my other alleys because it is summer. I have not explored summer much because of all the green, but this scene caught my eye due to the orange and green and a nice balance between organic and hard edged objects. Capturing atmosphere has never been my strong suit but I think I succeeded in this one. I love the little spot of the blue dumpster that draws your eye in, too.

A side note: I took this photo the beginning of August of this year and then went back 3-4 weeks later when I started the painting just to do a quick sketch and get acquainted with the subject. Much to my chagrin, the great brick building near the rear was gone! Just a big gaping hole.

No comments: