Search This Blog

Friday, January 30, 2009

Part II of Amy

Here is Amy looking much less like a patchwork quilt. Mark demonstrated on this to show me that I was trying too hard and to keep it simple. He showed me how even in the shadows that the planes of the body will share a similar color/value. I must admit, I would not have picked that greenish ochre color for the skin tone in the shadow. I really was leaning more towards a cooler color. I decided I had to put in the closed off doorway to give the contrast needed for the light to look light enough on her profile. (I didn't get around to putting in all the easels that were stacked in the doorway to the edge of the doorway.) I am not working as fast I normally like to yet. So, to recap from last night: Simplify the value separation within the shadow shape; it helps to step back a few feet and half squint to do that; to not worry about the nuances, just get something close. And to remember that as the shadow comes around a curve, the transition color from the light is usually cooler in temperature. It sure is nice having a small class as we get a bit more individual attention.

No comments: