Search This Blog

Friday, January 23, 2009

Week of January 19, 2009

Here is the painting from this week. If grades were given, I was told this was an A+ by a few classmates. I wish I had thought to take a photo after Monday night's class, but that is something I will endeavor to do from now on. Mark did praise the results of Monday's class when he saw it last night. I had planned on starting a new painting, but he said that since I had such a great start, to continue on with this one. He did work on this and I did not alter what he did, as I want to use it as future reference. So it is far from "a finished" piece. But I will reiterate, that is not the point of this class. I am trying to learn to establish color and value relationships to make a painting "reflect Joy and Life." His instruction for me last night was to look at the whole while painting the shadows instead of in the shadows. My shadows were too light in relative value to the whole because when painting them, I look into them. That will result in the shadows not being dark enough. He also was trying to get me to see the warmth of the light as it transitions to the core dark of the shadow. especially on the shoulder, which is why it looks a bit odd. I did not soften the line or change the color (the color is a bit off).

I am excited to be in this class! We are a small group and we have some excellent artists participating. And I am having fun even as I struggle to understand.

No comments: