Search This Blog

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Afternoon at the Denver Botanic Gardens


Saturday (5-16) I met Pat at the DBG to paint. A beautiful spring day at the gardens but it was a zoo of people! I walked around for over an hour before I finally settled down to paint. Pat had choosen a subject where I wasn't motiviated so I kept going. To the south of the little cafe and seating area is a vegetable garden. The chives reminded me of lavendar, so I found a little cranny to set up to get a view without being actually in a garden. The best view, of course, was where it was not feasible to be. I ended up putting a lot more in the painting than I had wanted, but it seemed the best composition when all was said and done. I seemed to spend quite a bit of time talking to people who came by than actually painting. I have noticed that men and children are curious; women often ignore you or turn around and walk away when they see you. At least this was the case on this day. Hispanic men predominate which I find interesting.



I got home about 5:30 and the light was really nice in our back yard so I started a painting but then wiped it off. I was cleaning up when I saw our dog, Fritz, sitting still! His back was to me as he watched the sidewalk waiting to pounce on the next unsuspecting canine. I quickly grabbed a canvas and started to catch him. I had about 3 minutes before he ran off, but I am happy with my quick sketch. I put the background in after he left.

1 comment:

Aloha Sistah said...

The zig-zag path in the Botanic Gardens painting struck me as a metaphor for life, at least mine. Glad it was a nice day to be out in the gardens.