Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Silver Plume with PAAC



Taking the day off from work, I joined Plein Air Artists of Colorado (PAAC) yesterday on their weekly paint out. It sure was nice to get out of the city as it has been remarkably hot the past week or so. And I haven't been up to the mountains yet this summer. There were lots of artists set up around Main Street so I went looking off the beaten path. I had set my mind on trying the little church in Silver Plume which had housed an Art Gallery not so long ago, and I just didn't like it from Main Street. BUT I found a place that looked up to it from below with lots of great shapes, and though I was in the sun, I was on a bridge over the creek so that kept me cool enough. I started painting on this little guy around 10 a.m. and wrapped it up by noon. I went with a 9x12 to get a more complete painting and not just a "study." There was so much information even though I did go for simple shapes. I had fun and got pretty close to what I was going for. Will wonders ever cease?

4 comments:

Aloha Sistah said...

I have been to that art gallery/church in Silver Plume. You captured the higglety-pigglety structures of this old mining town from your well-chosen vantage point. Amazing how a painting of a familiar place opens the door to a roomful of memories. This little town was a favorite stop off I-70 for Al & I for many years... breakfast at the KP Cafe, growler fill-ups at the brewery, now both closed up. Wonder if the bakery is still in business?

victoriasart said...

As I drove down Main St I saw the bread box out on the porch. I did not stop to see if they were in fact still in business. Silver Plume is looking very tired and worn down in my opinion. Lots of properties for sale-and yet there were also signs of rebirth and homes well loved. It made me realize how harsh the climate is on those old Victorians.

Jeanne Echternach said...

Love love love this! We are very fortunate to have so many little towns with so much character just outside our back yard. Anyways, I am anxious to see this gem in person.

Our Georgetown gallery is hoping to host its first annual paint out in September. Lots and lots of cool things to paint. I hope it attracts a lot of painters!

victoriasart said...

Jeanne
Let me know about the paint out and I will try to make it. I went up to the gallery after painting this piece to check it out. It is a nice space and your work looks good. I was surprised not to see your train painting there. Georgetown seems like a good place to hang it.