Search This Blog

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Study in the Garden

Garden Study-Black-eyed Susans, 12x9, oil on panel
This painting was started on a recent gray overcast day, which gives you a lot of flat light. I did not have to fight with light and shadow everywhere although there was lots of ambient light. I painted right through the rain shower but then the sun came out and that changed everything. I finished this little piece in the studio. I was trying to capture the happy buoyancy of black-eyed Susans in the garden. The red Maltese crosses were on their way out but I thought they added a nice spark of color and the purple salvia tied in with the reflected blue light on the leaves. I don't paint outside near enough anymore. It does feel good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is lovely. You captured the rainy day so well, but prove that even rain can't stop the sunshine that glows from His flower gifts. Yes, you do need to spend more time working outside, rain or shine. Good for the soul as well as the eye! thanks for sharing this fun piece! LNB