Search This Blog

Thursday, July 26, 2018

Clear Wine Bottle Still Life

Keeping in the theme of staying out of my comfort zone I started this still life the other day when my power was off. I was of two minds. Start abstractly but bring it around to a more finished completed painting or try and stop before I get too involved in it.

I grabbed a wiped off painted panel that still had the previous image on it, as you can see the tree in the off centered bottle. The roof line and buildings are still coming through. It was about at this stage that I decided to try to keep some of those elements. My hesitation was that I did not retain any of the under painted image on the left side. But somehow it doesn't bother me. Every time I walked by my easel I was just liking it more and more. I can't tell you how hard it was for me to just stop.

Here is where I ended up.  It was a fun exercise.
untitled at this point, 14x18, oil on linen panel


2 comments:

dogma said...

This looks, to me, so unlike your other work that it might have been done by someone else. It reminds me of someone's work, but I can't think who. I like it very much!

Just left a comment on another post and signed in with Google, which I see retrieved the name I used ages ago when I had a blog. That's a little unnerving.

Janis Foster ("dogma")

victoriasart said...

Janis
I know this looks unlike my other work. But if you saw some of my earlier work you would have seen more along this line. Maybe not so broken up but very flat and graphic. I wonder if you are thinking of Giorgio Morandi? He was the inspiration for this painting.

The internet never forgets...I did not know you had a blog! Intriguing.