Search This Blog

Friday, July 20, 2018

inspired by another artist's blog post

A blog post from Oil Painters of America came into my inbox the other day and the title caught my eye so I did open and read it. The title was Becoming a Better Realist Painter thru Abstraction or something close to that. I do believe that to be true but I wanted to see what this artist, Larry Moore, said about it. I found his article very well thought out and pertinent. Since I have not been at my own easel much this summer I decided to start doing some of his exercises to get the juices flowing. I started with the continuous line drawing. It has been a very long time since I played with that. Here are my attempts. The first two were with a sharpie pen, hence the spots on the following pages before I switched to pencil. His examples were more simplistic landscapes and I chose flowers in my garden. Flowers with one line is a challenge to be sure but it was a great exercise. The last one is of African Violets of which I had hoped to get some of the leaves in but I could not figure out without lifting the pencil. It is easy to paint yourself into a corner if you don't think it thru ahead of time and that is part of the challenge. As I wrote this I now realize a way to have done that but my logical mind got in the way. I just didn't figure that out until now...just do it! Go through the flowers or whatever it takes. That is part of the abstraction and letting go to see what happens. Happy shapes!


The next day I decided to play with abstract in oil. Here is my first go, where I painted over a plein air painting. It is not finished yet but you get the idea. The inspiration for this is from a photo a friend of mine from the 6th Grade when we lived in Orleans, France posted on FaceBook a few years ago. It was her father's collection of the different toilet papers from his jaunts into local toilettes. Who would have thought to do that? Pure Genius. I actually laughed out loud when I saw the photo as I remember all the different colors and textures most of those textures have never touched most American bottoms I can tell you that for a fact. Those shiny brownish ones were more like waxed paper than not. This is not something one forgets. I still have the horror of having to use what we called a "turkish" toilet and essentially consisted of a hole in the ground with two pads either side of the hole for your feet and only the shiny waxy toilet paper. One square at a time. I would say the average size was 4x4 or so. And no door. I could look outside to the parking lot. Not fun for a 10 year old girl. So who thought an abstract could bring back such fond memories? I always wanted to paint that memory she sparked. I still want to add some layers to it to see if I can pull of the translucent aspect of the waxier papers. The pink and blue were more like thin paper towels. None of these came on a roll.
on that note I will close for today...
oh what to name you? 12x9, oil

No comments: