Search This Blog

Thursday, January 31, 2019

Hunt and Peck

First I have to tell you I got a note from the Bold Brush competition held each month on line: Congratulations! Your painting, "Pictures at an Exhibition", was selected as part of the FAV15% (jury's favorite 15% of the entries) in the December 2018 BoldBrush Painting competition. 

It doesn't mean I won anything but it does mean I made it to the top 15% of entries. There are alot of entries! Always nice to get a little recognition...
Ibis, 12x12, oil on linen panel,

And then on to this week's post. I said last time that I was going to start at least one more sea bird painting on top of another plein air painting. This time I picked an Ibis. Since the other two birds are walking and upright I went for one looking for food. There was a nice swell coming in to create a pattern coming off the body of the bird. Repetition of shape is always a bonus. I am having too much fun painting shore birds and Gulf waters. I must be living in the wrong part of the country...mountains are not my natural affinity I am discovering. As I switch to a snow painting I am using what I have been doing in these smaller paintings with water to that of the snow. It has given me a new way to think about that subject. Sometimes I try to make it way harder than it needs to be.

This one is painted over another old building although this was not a barn but a post office. I am drawing a blank on the location but the few buildings in this small mountain town were all dilapidated and long abandoned. You can see a little bit of progression below. I thought I had a previous post on the original painting but I cannot find it. I can't even find a folder with images of the painting...it wasn't that bad!

I have one more shore bird I want to do but I have run out of 12x12 panels with plein air paintings on them. It might be too different to do it on a clean canvas but I will think on that.


not only the roof line is coming through but also the hillside which will mimic the swell in the water. I love it when that happens!
Photo of the old post office
To end this post on another high note I had a surprise deposit in my PayPal account. Someone bought a larger painting off my website! That is always a delight to discover.



No comments: