Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Pet Portrait: Petunia

Petunia, 8x8, oil on board

I just finished this portrait of Petunia, the calico cat belonging to two sisters who own and operate a pet store on South Pearl Street here in Denver, The Whole Cat...and dogs too. For many years now they have kept dog biscuits out for all the dogs who walk the neighborhood and then also give out extra special treats at the Farmer's Market every Sunday during the season. In fact, they downright spoil my dog! He is shameless when it comes to Nancy in particular. Petunia was a fixture at the store and often seen sleeping in the window at their prior location. Last year I offered to do one of their pets portrait because I wanted to give back to them. Petunia just died so it was Petunia whom I was asked to do.

Here is my initial block in on top of a plein air piece I did a few a years ago that was not worth keeping. I have so much fun at this stage. Just thinking of big shapes. This came together really fast and was just flat out fun to paint!

No comments: