Search This Blog

Sunday, April 28, 2019

Post Pop-up Art Invitational

Admirers looking at my wall, 4-26-19

My wall after I was done hanging it, 4-26-19
I wanted to show those of you who were unable to come to the one night art invitational what it looked like. We had to be there to hang between 9-11 the morning of, and the art had to be taken down either after the show or the next morning starting at 8 a.m. I had a plan for hanging my wall and though I didn't follow it, because I had a pretty good idea, it went pretty fast. I wish I had thought to take photos of how the different artists did theirs, as just like when there are a group of artists painting the same subject and each one is so different, how to hang a wall of art follows pretty much the same pattern.
My friend, Jeannie Paty, hanging her wall
It was my first experience with this kind of a venue. It may well be the wave of the future as yet another well established art gallery closes this month in Denver. I thought it was very successful overall. There was a continual stream of people in attendance with the busiest time starting around 7:30. I believe I had the first sale of the evening, the little hollyhock study on my wall above. For an artist, our loyal supporters are always very close to our hearts, and without them where would we be? When a total stranger likes your work enough to buy it, that is a different kind of validation. It is an entry into a new relationship. The man who bought the little piece below the hollyhocks, "Along the Arno," wrote on the subject line of his check "Keep up the great work!" This is particularly poignant for me as I have been struggling with whether I should stop painting altogether. My shoulder has been reconstructed twice and it has been causing me enough trouble that giving up painting was definitely on my radar as a possibility. I received so much validation to keep on keeping on during this show. I will share one more experience: I was standing in the vicinity of my wall during a quiet time where I was not engaged with anyone else. A man and his wife approached and stopped next to me looking at my wall. He said to his wife "Now these paintings tell a story." He proceeded to go through each painting telling the story he saw. I cannot tell you how gratifying that was to hear. I want my work to draw people in to tell a story or open up a dialogue.

I know I was happy with how many people stopped at my wall and really looked and enjoyed. A great big thank you to Cherry Creek Art Gallery for organizing this event.

3 comments:

dogma said...

I'm delighted that you overheard a man talking positively about your work to his wife! That has to be the most rewarding kind of compliment.

(I didn't realize that my name would appear as "dogma" when I signed in with Google to comment on "Laundry Day, Florence." It's me, Janis Foster.)

Victoria said...

Overhearing the husband talking to his wife was but one instance I overheard. What I liked about him was he saw the stories himself and didn’t ask me what it was. The evening was such a huge validation overall. One young woman said to me “ I see your work being very attractive to Milleniels and believe it or not, many of the younger set who came stopped and really looked at my paintings and talked to me about them. Thanks for stopping by!

Jane Morrison said...

Good day !!
We are Christian Organization formed to help people in need of help,such as
financial assistance, Do you need a loan to pay your bills? Do you need
Personal Business Car or Student loans? Need a loan for various other
purposes? If yes contact us today.
Please these is for serious minded and God fearing People.

Email: jacksonwaltonloancompany@gmail.com

Text or call: +1-205-5882-592.

Address is 68 Fremont Ave Penrose CO, 81240.

Website: jacksonwaltonloancompany.blogspot.com