Search This Blog

Thursday, October 3, 2019

Coneflower: Sombrero Hot Coral

Another painting from the road trip I took through the heartland of America this past June.  I saw this beauty in the garden of my co-pilot's cousin in Columbus, Ohio. I was quite surprised by how much I enjoyed Ohio, where we spent 5 nights. Gigi's garden definitely showcased someone who is gardener and I really enjoyed talking to her about her garden and older home, since we both share in those things. There are some distinct differences between gardening in Ohio vs Colorado of course. In some ways I was a bit envious but in others, very grateful!

I had never seen a coneflower like this one. It took us awhile to figure out its name, but now that I know it I think I can remember it. I looked so hard to find one like it online but Gigi finally found the original tag that came with it in her shed. Phew! It may find a place in my garden next year...if I can find a place to put it.

Shockingly, I had a clean, never before painted on panel for this one. Felt strange to start out on a white background.
Sombrero Hot Coral, 6x6, oil on panel

No comments: