Search This Blog

Thursday, March 11, 2021

Lone Tree

 

Lone Tree, 14x11, oil
I needed something fun and simple to work on and so I went browsing through my phone to see if I could find anything on it that fit the bill. I came across this lone bare tree taken in the Fall of 2016 in Sedalia Colorado. It was exactly what I needed. I picked up a plein air painting I had done in the fall of the Boat House at Washington Park which was no great shakes, turned it on its side, and went to work. I let some of the color come through from the boat house painting which can be very difficult for me to do. There was more I wanted to do in this painting initially, but this is one time I actually stopped myself before going any further to leave more of the under painting elements come through and add to the interest.

The story behind the tree. I was in Sedalia for a 2 day silent retreat. My first time doing a silent retreat. I knew no one else there and we were not to talk to anyone outside of our group meet ups a couple of times per day. I went wandering around the vast property there as I meditated. I was going through divorce and I think this tree captured how I felt. Alone, bare, stripped down to the bare skeleton. A time for reflection and rebirth. Solid, buffeted by the winds, yet still standing.  Maybe this is why I was able to stop before I normally would. To remind myself that I am still a work in progress - that some of the old is still showing through but that is what brought me to where I am today.

No comments: