Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Seat in the Sun

 

Start of a New Year - A Seat in the Sun

A Seat in the Sun, 9x12, oil

To start this new year it seems a good time to post this painting. To remind me that the sun is still shining!

A couple of my painting buddies were over before Thanksgiving to paint together. As it was a beautiful Colorado day we set up outside my back door. It was very interesting as we all painted "the same thing" yet they could not have been more different in approach. I pulled out an old plein air painting that was not worthy of the title "painting" to begin afresh. I do enjoy the challenge of that and I am always surprised by how it turns out if allow myself to not cover every inch of the preexisting image underneath. I believe this one to be fairly successful in that regard, especially in the interesting colors and shapes coming out of the darkness of the interior of my garage. Keeps the imagination wondering what is in there? I did not plan it this way, but the color of the chair is also coming through on the wall behind it, which originally was a brick wall with white trim.

 

I don't consider myself a plein air painter, but I always enjoy being outside painting. If I keep it simple, as I did in this piece, the exercise is more successful. As I mentioned above, there were three of us painting together. I was the most zoomed in on the subject. Jeannie added the whole garage, and Marianne had the whole garage plus sky and trees and behind the garage, on a much smaller sized canvas, I might add. How she manages to do that is a mystery to me. That is what makes the world go round! That we are all unique individuals. Thank God for that~

 

 

2 comments:

Janis Foster said...

I would be happy to have any of these paintings!

victoriasart said...

I know. All different yet all captured a moment in time. I tend to zero in most of the time. Marianne goes for the whole kit and caboodle. I am definitely a keep in simple girl when outdoors painting. The light changes so fast.