Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 28, 2022

What is it with painting Pears?

A question that was asked of me by a student I have been working with. I have done MORE continuous line drawings with more pears, being as they are currently in season. And those drawings turn me to my easel to paint them. I suggested to him that he try drawing pears to see why so many artists like to paint pears to see where it leads him. I have my own theories about why I am drawn to pears.

I am not going to include the line drawings in this post, just a progression as I painted over an old plein air landscape. You can see I set the pears up right at eye level on my easel. Nothing fancy at all. In fact, using the 2x4 is rather tippy and I had to be careful the painting and 2x4 didn't end up on my palette! But then, why not add a little adventure to the whole thing? Since I used a red background before I decided to use a piece of blue mat board this time.

Set up with 6x8 old painting

blocking in the pears with a lime green

Blocking in with blue background and brick

Bosc Pears- further blocking in

Bosc Pears, next to set up

Bosc Pears, Still looking for a Title, 6x8, oil

I had thought to name this little study "the Conversation." Yet it almost looks like the Pear on the left is listening closely while the pear on the right is maybe a bit forward in what it has to say. The stems are intimating a heart shape now that I look at it differently. A title is not coming to me. Any help with a title would be greatly appreciated. I have used "Tete a Tete" before.

These fun studio studies keep me from getting too serious in my studio works since I don't get outside and paint as much as I used to. I do think it is important to paint from life whatever that  looks like. These don't take much of a time commitment as I do try to keep moving and not think too hard about it. Just observe.

No comments: