Search This Blog

Sunday, April 30, 2023

Grey Heron - Adapting to One's Environment

Adapting to One's Environment, 12x16, available

The photo I took for this painting was taken while visiting my son in Kanazawa Japan. He had moved there to teach English a few years after graduating college. This would be around 2006. The city sits between two rivers, so I am not sure which river this is along, but as you can see, it is concrete and granite banking the river. Kanazawa sits along the Sea of Japan on the western coast of Japan. I took the photo from across the river, so the actual image is quite grainy. I had to fill in some areas that did not read well, especially around the eyes.

1. Getting the Shapes in

I sketched the bird in with a crimson colored pencil, which you can see still in this block in as I figure out relationships in shapes and values. My thought was to have the Heron blend into his 'environment,' so I used the same color palette for the granite wall and the bird.

2. Darkening down the wall

Even thought I liked the colors in the granite wall, I decided it needed to be more neutral so I added a darker value of a greyed blue overall. Dry-brushing it on to allow texture. I added a pinkish color to the concrete surface which as up to this point, I had left blank canvas. 
3. Finishing the bird
Now that the surrounding area is where I want it, I start work on finishing the bird. I softened the hard dark blacks and darkened the greys of his feathers. Also added some soft yellows and purples to his neck and head.

All these images were taken in my studio with my iPhone. I find it interesting that the earlier photos look darker than the last. 

No comments: