Search This Blog

Saturday, April 22, 2023

Kevin Weckbach at Gallery 1261

I apologize in advance for not getting this out while the show was up. However, it appears to still be up on Gallery 1261's website. I went to the opening two weeks ago and was there early enough to get a chance to talk to Kevin, although not for long. He posed for his girlfriend to take this photo, so I did likewise. For those who don't know, I consider Kevin my mentor. I took his year long master painting class more than once, and though it has been many years since then, his teachings stay with me - at least most of the time.


There are so many good paintings in this show, I am surprised it did not sell out. In my opinion, he is one of the best painters of our time -based on my limited knowledge of all artists of our time. His use of color and his strong values that show up in his paintings are rarely rivaled. He paints so abstractly yet the abstract shapes pull a scene together so succinctly.

The depth!
Detail-so abstract

Detail-the blue of the river! 

Look at the brushwork! The colors!

Detail of water in the light from painting below

look at the color in the shadow side of the snow!

Wow! pure blue. The warm and the cool- no one does it better

Photos don't do justice to the vibrance of Kevin's work.  He continues to inspire me.

No comments: