Search This Blog

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Museum District-Golden Triangle Plein Aire Event


All this week there is a plein aire event happening here in Denver. Yesterday, we were invited to paint at the Governors Mansion for the day with a catered lunch provided. There was some amazing work being painted by some very talented artists. I managed to paint two 9x12's; one in the morning and one in the afternoon. And here they are in all their glory - done alla prima. The image above was painted in the afternoon, under a lovely tree. My daughter said, did you have to paint the trash bin?? Well, yes, as it was one of the shapes within a shape that drew me to this scene in the first place. How often does the rear entrance (gardener's area?) get its just due?

The one below was done in the morning, and includes fellow plein aire artist, Don Barnes.





Last weekend, the event opened on Saturday, September 6, I started with a 12x24 inch panel and chose the backside of a row of "houses" that now are home to Bail Bonds. In the background is, yes, the city & county of Denver's downtown jail. Looks somewhat like a modern day fortress. I have not yet finished it. This is a subject out of my comfort zone and I am probably taking more care with it for that reason. I am posting it in its unfinished state, and I plan to go back this weekend and put the finishing touches on it (like the numbers hanging on a wire for the parking spots and finish the car, and maybe add the lovely telephone poles as well).


No comments: