Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 22, 2023

 

Cabin Kitchen, oil and linen, 40x30
Here is a painting I started about two years ago now. I had driven to Arizona to visit an artist friend of mine. She had recently moved and was wanting some company to go plein air painting with. I was happy to oblige. It was mid-April, and much warmer than snowy Colorado. She had made a new friend recently who invited her to come to her cabin. I was included in that invitation, so off we went. This new friend was also a creative type and the yard of this cabin was full of these lanterns she had made. See example below. She made them out of vases, and bowls and ashtrays (from thrift stores) - whatever glassware she thought would work and then she adds a string of lights to the interior base which, though I didn't get a chance to see them lit up at night, I am sure is stunning. What a fun way to recycle and repurpose. There were LOTS of them, in all colors. They look like fun mushrooms sprouting all over the landscape. The 'mushroom' is glued to a stone base to prevent them from toppling over and breaking. 


So back to the painting. She gave us a tour of the interior of the cabin as well. They do not live in the cabin full time but it was as funky inside as it was outside. This kitchen painting is only the first I hope to do of the interior of the cabin. (I did ask permission to take photos inside.) It is a large, for me, painting, with so much going on in it, I had to let it sit, sometimes for months, to be sure the perspective was right and I wasn't getting to nit picky about details, which I am prone to do. This sat for months again once I felt it was done, and when I didn't feel inclined to go back to it, have deemed it 'finished' - at least enough to post it. I found this kitchen to be inviting; where you just want to walk in and explore. Hope you do too! 

No comments: