Search This Blog

Thursday, November 29, 2018

Marbled Water

Marbled Water, 30x30, oil on linen, available
Last spring I was in Greece for a few weeks, staying mostly on a small, non-touristy island. Yes, there are a few still in existence. This was our first day on the island and we were checking out various coves and beaches to see what we liked for possible return visits. The beach here was tiny and there were locals living (illegal, I believe) in a few of the syrmata's (boat garages) so it wasn't a place we returned to after this initial visit. But sitting on the natural stone 'walkway' away from the beach and the locals was amazingly tranquil and rejuvenating for the soul. One of us even went swimming. I preferred to sit with my feet in the water being nibbled by small fish, until the jellyfish arrived. I was mesmerized by the patterns made in the water. I had never experienced anything like it before. As the light shifted so did the patterns and reflections. I took a series of photos as the patterns evolved until this marbled effect showed up. It was the last photo I shot in the series and my favorite. Suffice it to say, whenever near water I studied it and was continually enchanted by the way it was a living entity ever changing before my eyes. I hope to do more water scenes I encountered to show how distinct the different areas of the island were and how the light impacted the designs in the water. I have been to  many beaches around the world and have never seen anything like what I saw in the Aegean.
Enjoy!
If you have a better idea for a title, I am always open to suggestions. I lack creativity in naming paintings...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Marbled Water title definitely got my attention. I would not change it. JB