Search This Blog

Thursday, December 6, 2018

Urban Garden

Urban Garden, 30x30, oil on linen, available
This painting has taken most of this year to get it where I like it and the camera likes it as well. Sometimes the camera "sees" things I miss. Or it will pick out a paint color that just jumps out of the image and becomes a bulls eye. Finally, it seems we both can agree, at least for the time being.

This scene is in Urbino, Italy, a medieval walled hill town in the Marche area of Italy. Which is adjacent to Tuscany. I had read that Marche was so much like Tuscany except less tourism and less money. So of course I had to go and check it out! We were staying in a resort town off season. But this resort town was for Italians. So not much English spoken here. While at the train station trying to figure out buses or even a taxi, for pity's sake, I heard English! This is after trying French, German and English with the ticket agent in the train station. There was  a young woman taking to two others in English. She was a student in Urbino and her brother and his girlfriend had come for the weekend to spend it with her. They were all from England. She said they would walk us into town and help us get oriented as my internet was not working and the map I had found online for this seaside town was so not accurate on any level. While walking us into town (lots of pedestrian streets) she said we should take the bus on Saturday to Urbino for the market. Flea market, antiques, and normal food market was something to go and experience. I had no plans as I often depend on serendipity when traveling, so market day seemed the perfect thing to do. Urbino was all up or all down, with barely any just flat areas except the small main square. I was quite taken with it. This is not my first painting from that day going to market.
Urbino Alley, 30x20, oil on linen, available

Here are paintings I did from the seaside resort area where we stayed in one of the only hotels still open. As is usual in seaside towns, you can tell the foreigners because they are not bundled up and they are in the water, if only wading...In October it was in the mid 70's and yet you can see this bicyclist has on a down jacket and scarf...
Racked, 20x30, oil on linen, available
Adriatic Evening, 24x24, oil on panel, available
I hope you enjoyed your little tour of the Marche area of Italy. It is just south of Venice as the crow flies. But by train you need to go West to go south! Be prepared for little or not English if you decide to venture here. I liked that aspect of our 3 days there, but I know for some it is not comfortable. It sure makes it an adventure.