Search This Blog

Thursday, December 27, 2018

Along the Arno

Along the Arno, 6x6, oil on panel
This is not my normal style but for some reason this little scene called for something different. And it is hard for me to paint this small anymore where once it was very comfortable.
The texture comes from two things. I gessoed the panel with a paint roller which gives it a kind of knobby texture to begin with. And second I had painted this scene already. Then decided I didn't like it so painted over it again. I do like the painted over effect so I am happier with the newer version. I also decided to use colored pencil instead of trying to paint the lines I wanted.

The story here is about the buildings. I do love the way the buildings in Italy are orderly yet jumbled. Florence has a lot of hills so it almost appears as if buildings are built upon buildings. The flower boxes are ubiquitous as well. It is one way to add color and get your hands in the dirt in a place with very little garden space.

No comments: