Search This Blog

Sunday, October 19, 2008

In Memory


Here is a painting I originally did a study of (not sure what happened to it) from which I painted the above piece. I looked at this painting for at least three years(probably more) and just this summer took it off the wall and reworked it. The differences are subtle, but they are definitely there. This sheep ranch is the next ranch up from where my in-laws have lived for the past 20+ years. I thought it a fitting tribute to my mother-in-law, Dorothy, who passed away Oct 14 at the age of 87. The end of an era. Unfortunately, I did catch some light glare on the left side of the newer version. This painting is 11"x14" and is called "Debbie's Sheep."

Just for fun, I will also post a photo of my father-in-laws barn that I painted plein air the last time I was in Hopland in 2007. This barn did house sheep, goats and if I remember correctly some pigs at varying points in time before he gave up: the mountain lions won.

And his neighbor up the hill and friend, Lou's vineyard, which I had painted a study of on site and then painted the following 12"x16" Ravano's Vineyard:
You can't help but love the rolling hills of northern California. May you Rest in Peace, Dorothy.

1 comment:

Travelingrant said...

A very fitting tribute.