Search This Blog

Sunday, October 12, 2008

South Boulder Creek



Friday-October 10-Jeannie and I had agreed to paint together every Friday in October except the 17th, as I will be out of town attending my niece's wedding in Seattle. Last Saturday, at Lair of the Bear, I had told Pat, a classmate of ours, that we had a date to paint this Friday and she wanted to join us. Jeannie wanted to work on a painting that she had started up Boulder Canyon, so we agreed to meet there. Unfortunetly, it was a cold, foggy day up the Canyon, and Jeannie's painting was a light and shadow on a beautiful, sunny Fall day. The temp on my car thermometer said a cool 36 degrees and none of us were dressed for that. I love fog, and had I been dressed appropriately, would have loved the opportunity to paint in it. We headed back down the canyon, and as Pat is from Louisville, she knows the area well. She led us to the Bobolink Trailhead off of Baseline in Boulder, and what a perfect spot! Though there was no sun and it never got above 47 degrees, we stopped and set to painting. Jeannie and I both love "local tone" and we had our easels next to each other to paint right off the parking lot (Fall Color at Boblink Trailhead is 16"x12"). Pat went further afield to sketch. "Local tone" is basically a painting without light and shadow and the three values of the B&W painting exercise I have previously posted.


Jeannie still wanted to work on her painting and I felt I was finished with mine, so Fritz and I went wandering. Since she had an hour to go before leaving, I found a spot up the trail and did the painting below, Blaze of Color, 8"x6".


No comments: