Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

MD Class 2-9-09

I decided to take Mark at his word and brought in a canvas pad instead of a canvas board to do a color study. This pad is 16"x20." Most of the class work so far I have done on 9"x12" or 11"x14." Since I don't always complete the smaller works in one night, I am not surprised I didn't get this covered. I did intend for it to be a "study" after all. Her hands are incomplete (think shape and plane) and the left one appears to be floating (picture a shapely thigh), and her eyes I wiped out without time to put them back in - poor thing is blind now - but I do believe I got a good likeness and I am trying very hard to think about the planes of the face. I forced myself to go darker than I would normally tend to do although I see in this photograph that her neck is still way too light as is the reflected light on the back of her upper arm. I do think that is a good nose and that the overall structure of her head reads well. And I am probably setting myself up for disaster thinking so... .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just popped in to see what you've been up to. Glad to see you're pushing the proverbial envelope. I really enjoyed the Daily Painting slideshow. Peary nice! (Sorry I couldn't help myself.)

victoriasart said...

I have not been doing many "daily" paintings lately. Seems like forever! That is not to say I haven't been busy at my easel. I have many paintings I am working on simultaneously.