Search This Blog

Saturday, March 28, 2009

A Test for those of you are interested

One of my painting buddies told me recently that she was told that the best way to evaluate your work before sending it in to a juried show is to view the pieces you are thinking about in Thumbnail size; that the juror has to look at so many paintings that the strength of the painting in thumbnail can be a determinig factor of its selection or rejection. Here is a site to check out alot of paintings in thumbnail and you will see what I mean; here is a webpage of works sent in for a juried show that will take place the end of April. If you were the judge, and had to choose 10 out of all of these (with many more yet to come) what criteria would you settle on? I can see where I tend toward those that have the best composition with strong value relationships. Those that read all one value, no matter how colorful or well rendered, pale next to the strength of good light, middle and dark value shapes. The subject is secondary.

4 comments:

Aloha Sistah said...

Point well taken... Did you submit?

victoriasart said...

Not yet. I am keeping my eye on it though.

jeanniepaty.com said...

Hey, that was me! Nice link Victoria & a good demonstration of what a jurror would look at to make his/her decision. I've noticed several friends have entered the Fineartstudio competition. We both need to get our work up there. I really like your blog!

victoriasart said...

You recognized yourself. I didn't get a chance to ask you if you minded if I used your name, and you know I don't want to post something without permission...I have many deadlines for submittal when I get back to town: PAAC summer show, Estes Park Paintout,and Fineartstudio. I hope I can pull it all off.