Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Springs to Life in a new form


























Here is another painting from 2002 that I figured would be good practice for me. I borrowed the second orchid from a good friend of mine last weekend. She was kind enough to let me know she had some in bloom if I wanted to borrow one to paint. The original painting is an oncidium of some kind, and that was painted in my "plant portrait" phase. I was trying at the time to mix organic objects with graphic shapes. They were not very succesful. I did not have a photo reference for the oncidium, but from the graphics I put in I tried to think back to the lighting situation and put the new plant in a similar place. I kept the background fairly graphic but with softer edges. If nothing else, I did enjoy myself.

No comments: