Search This Blog

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Another Day in the Alley's of Platte Park

Saturday morning was a perfect gray, spring morning, threatening to rain. I like this kind of day as it provides a saturation of color that you don't get on a beautiful sunny day. I was able to be outside in just a light polar fleece. I added the faint "shadows" on the alley to break up that vast expanse of pavement. This study is 11x14 and it took me an hour to do. I am going to paint an 18x24 painting from it in the studio and keep it to this basic composition. More so than I did with the Harvard Gulch Alley and its study. I know the lovely dumpster is front and center, but it is a foil to guide you in and to play off of the truck and the flowering crabapple. The truck is parked in the back of Firestation 16.

1 comment:

Aloha Sistah said...

Crabapples are so glorious when they're in bloom. I love the way it commands attention in your painting, just as it does when you're walking or driving by one this time of year.