Search This Blog

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Getting Ready for Summer Art Market

In between working on the larger paintings I want to highlight at my opening that is fast approaching: May 7 at Bell Studio and Gallery, I have been working on resurrecting old paintings with the Summer Art Market in mind. Here are a few before and after’s:

This painting, an 8x10, is from my “plant portrait” phase of @2003. I had decided I wanted to grow orchids and I should paint them as well. This is a rather plain little portrait (I was lazy and afraid of backgrounds, relying instead on being “graphic.” It really did not need much. Keep it simple but tone down that garish orangey earth color that was competing with the magenta. That was a huge lifesaver. I then corrected the drawing of the flowers and the pot, changed the leathery leaves from a warm green to a cool green and then added more warmth to the background and also added some gradation to it. Not having any reference available, I long ago killed off my orchid collection; I just went from my memory.

3 comments:

Aloha Sistah said...

Since every town in Hawaii has an orchid society and each has annual orchid show, I often stop it to ooh and ah at the stunning variety and visual feast of colors, and often, fragrance. I have even succumbed to temptation and purchased a few. Every now and then, I can't believe my luck and I wake up one morning and find one blooming! Dendrobiums more often than my favorite, cattleyas. I have a new respect for anyone who tries to grow them in a climate such as Denver's. I highly recommend purchasing a painting to enjoy each and every day. No muss, no fuss!

victoriasart said...

I actually had a cattelya rebloom in a windowsill, in my cold house in Denver. I do like Cat's. I am often tempted to purchase an orchid, but they are just too high maintenance here, in that you are correct. And I appreciate the plug.

Aloha Sistah said...

Anytime. I have many to enjoy. Others should be so lucky.