Search This Blog

Monday, April 26, 2010

Ten of Zen - Painting from Life

More than a few years ago, I was painting in Spain. A woman I had met on this trip told me about the 10 of Zen. Something recently triggered that memory, and I thought it time to revisit this way to approach a painting outdoors, or any time you are painting from life.

The essence of the 10 of Zen is to use all your senses for 10 minutes and write them down BEFORE you start to work. I didn't do this enough for it to become "habit" but subconsciously, I still make mental notes of what my senses are recording. When you are working with light, 10 minutes can be a luxury you don't always have. But when you get back to the studio and bring out your study or painting, it all comes back to you. I found some notes from over the years with my thumbnails and it is fun to look back; like a mini diary.

P.S. A note on shipping paintings. I heard from a few friends via email that ABEND Gallery will box and ship paintings very reasonably. I don't know what the definition of "reasonable" is, but I will check it out and let you know when next I need to ship a painting.

No comments: