Search This Blog

Monday, May 24, 2010

Emerson Street Alley WIP


Here is my latest alley painting which I blocked in this past weekend (work in progress). I am very happy with the block in and I sure hope I can get back to it this next weekend. I was able to do this in one day, which means I am getting faster and more confident. Worrying less about the details and going for the overall affect I am trying to achieve. This painting is 20x30. This is a new approach for me as I don't usually have most of the painting in the shadow, where the light is a very small but strong focus of a painting. You can't see it yet, but the between the second dumpster and the recycle bin is a bouquet of ballons. Just a bit of delight for the viewer to discover after entering the alley.

3 comments:

Aloha Sistah said...

Your alley paintings seem to have struck a chord. Alleys do seem to have a life of their own. And the balloons seem a perfect metaphor for the treasures to be found in an alley if your timing is right.

victoriasart said...

Yes, I have found something that really does strike a chord with me at long last. Something that has me excited and chomping at the bit to get back to. I also see alleys as the inner life as opposed to the face we show the world. Many match up front and back, but many do not.

Jeanne Echternach said...

I love this. You are doing a fine job capturing the look and feel of the neighborhood. We were there 2 nights ago at the India's Pearl. Yum.

I'll keep an eye out for updates to the painting!

I made a few structural and color changes to my Gorge piece. You'll have to let me know what you think.