Search This Blog

Friday, June 4, 2010

Alley in Spring


On the left is my studio painting that I recently finished from the study on the right. I had both hanging at Bell Gallery for my opening there the first Friday of May. I hadn't realized that I had not posted the finished studio piece. My artist friends comments from the opening were unanimous: the studio painting was liked better than the plein air. And usually, it is the other way around-artists normally like the freshness of the plein air. That may have something to do with the fact that I know in my mind what I am looking to do when painting outside, but I don't have the time to get there. (and I also have a hard time keeping my lights clean, though I am working on that) And then I take that direction with me back to the studio using the study as the skeleton on which to build from. I added the dog, Pearl, who belongs to the people who live nearby. They came walking up the alley while I was painting and I hastily took a few quick photos; only one dog really was worth putting in, as the owner and the other dog ended up behind the dumpster. They are going to buy the study. I am thinking I should add Pearl to the larger piece as well. What do you think? She is definitely a dog with  'tude.

No comments: