Search This Blog

Monday, June 21, 2010

14th Annual Plein Air Artists of Colorado Juried Exhibit

This year, PAAC’s annual juried show is being held at Saks Gallery in Cherry Creek, 3019 East 2nd Avenue. The opening will be held this Friday, June 25th, from 5-9 p.m. the show runs for two weeks, through July 10. There should be lots of good art from all over the southwest. This year I have been fortunate to have four paintings juried in.
One of these paintings, “Urban Serenity” above, won a 2nd place award at the 2009 Denver Plein Air Show held in December, and another,
“Quiet Sunday at the Bail Bonds” an honorable mention the year before.
“Greenland Ranch Buildings” I just painted this past February,
 and ”Alley in Fall” was the start of my fascination with alleys, when I painted it from my alley across the street last October.

The thing I find interesting about this is a year ago I thought myself a landscape painter. The only painting I submitted that did not get in to this show was a landscape. I did not think I was very good at painting cityscapes in particular, and buildings in general. In fact, I only submitted two paintings I did at a garden center (flowers are “safe”) to the 2009 Denver Plein Air Juried show, not thinking the cityscapes I did were very good at all.

No comments: